Sunday 18 January 2009

Pre-Exam Word Explosion

I have a politics exam tomorrow, and because of how bloody jittery I am right now, I simply can't concentrate for long periods of time. I've tried breathing in and out deeply, lying on my bed, convincing myself that things cannot possibly go as bad as the last time I did this exam, listening to some calming music... I've done a lot of nerve calming stuff. This post is going to make no sense, therefore.

I know, I have a terrible approach to exams, whether I've revised or not. At least all the nerves have decided to hit me now rather than right as I enter the exam room, which is what normally happens. They effectively take all the knowledge I spent months revising and set fire to it and have a sort of demon-summoning dance round the blazing inferno while I'm sitting there in the exam thinking about how much I want to get up and run out of the building. I've always wondered what would happen if about 30 minutes into the exam, while all is quiet, one of the students suddenly bolted out of the hall screaming in terror. Would the invigilators chase after them, or would they just stand there in their usual hypnotic mixture of boredom and tiredness as if nothing had ever happened?

If I hadn't been conditioned from birth to behave myself in all social situations, I'd be up for an experiment.

Exam invigilators have the most boring job in the universe, and I always end up feeling a twinge of pity for them as I leave the exam hall. They're normally either teaching assistants, science technicians or other part-time employees at my school, and I always wonder what they're thinking about as they saunter up and down the aisles of desks. Are they wondering what series of misfortunes lead them to becoming an invigilator and what ever happened to their childhood dream of being an astronaut? Are they contemplating whether taking exams is at all worth it, or whether we are just animals trying to hide from ourselves by creating such things as money, jobs and education? Or are they just thinking about what they'll have for dinner?

In my school, the invigilators play battleships, using the seating plan as a grid.

No comments: