Tuesday 10 February 2009

Tech Support

I'm  rather sick of technology right now. My iPod, my sleek, black 140 gig baby who has given me almost a year of loyal audio-visual  service has decided to stop working properly.  For good, it seems. 

I was happily uploading a couple of songs on Saturday, when I rather hastily disconnected my iPod before both it and my laptop told me it was ok to do so (I was in a hurry) and suddenly it came up with an error message and then wiped itself clean of all 2700 songs and 75 videos stored on there,  some of which I'll never get back.  It had done this little trick before, so I thought "Meh, big deal, I'll just re-connect it and reformat it and it'll be fine". Hah, fat chance.

Now whenever I try and connect the damn thing to any computer, it recognises that it is indeed connected to something, but the iTunes program does not recognise the iPod. Neither does the computer system, which crashes My Computer when I try to view the iPod's files, and tells me something along the lines of  "The file  cannot be rewritten, please save somewhere else". Of course, Apple Inc.  have been less than helpful- their online troubleshooting guide for iPods essentially says "turn it off and on again and hope it works" . Thank you Apple, nice to see I'm not the only person with no clue here.

I've given up for the moment and decided to give my old first generation iPod Nano some love and attention. I used to love the little thing, but I've been spoiled by my iPod Classic's huge screen and massive hard drive, so I no longer appreciate it. In fact, I hate it because for the first time in a year I've had to choose what music I want on my iPod. I just can't decide, I love all of my music! I'll just have to leave my poor broken one for a few days and hope it magically fixes itself before crawling to my Dad for the warranty and hope Apple gives me a new one before I got to uni.

Incidentally, if anyone out there has any idea what has gone wrong with my iPod, please let me know. I'll send you a picture of a pigeon or a cookie or something as a reward.

No comments: