Sunday 13 February 2011

Lovey Dovey Nonesense

So today is Valentines Eve, and I have no doubt men and women all around the world are hurriedly raiding the shops looking for something to buy that person they're currently shackled to. As I may have mentioned before, I'm sat at home, as I'm probably going to be doing all my romantic things the day after you're supposed to. Stupid exams.

Anyway, I'm thinking I might make some little cupcakes or something, because I'm a massive soppy bugger when the mood takes me. Get my man a few bottles of nice cider, stick some bows on them, present done.
They'll look like this, except much less pink

I don't feel like I have to observe V-Day because I'm in a relationship, for me it's more of a appreciation of what I have that's good in my life. That's why I'm going to spoil my boyfriend rotten.

Some people are going to be angry and miserable tomorrow, and this is what I don't understand.
Singles-warriors, as I like to call them, are people who despise Valentines Day and all it's meanings. They think just because they're single, the entire world is mocking them on this one day because the focus is, of course, on couples.
I think people who think like that need to take a step back and realise that a: they are not expected to take part and b: the holiday is actually a ancient festival dedicated to a SAINT and not in fact a reason to make them miserable each year.

People that put things like "Valentine's Day tomorrow, I hate it with a passion" really make me sad. It's really not worth getting angry about. So what if you're single, nobody is laughing at you or expecting you to be miserable. Sure, I'm not single right now, but I know plenty of people who are single and proud of it, and STILL like Valentines Day.  Are you that self important and sad that you think an entire holiday is devoted to the fact that you don't have a partner? It's not even that important whether you have a boyfriend/girlfriend or not.

Celebrate it differently- buy your parents and friends gifts to show them you love them. I'm pretty sure that's allowed to do. It's not just about couples. Stop the hate, feel the love, whether it be for your lover, your best friend or you parents.

No comments: